Writing Creatively

Writing Creatively
Creative Writing Tips

Sunday, August 23, 2015

Suzi Hunn's Blue Car Painted Green


As the author of YBC, I’m always fascinated by what prompts bloggers to begin blogging. Suzi Hunn, author of Blue Car Painted Green: Crafting an Upcycled Life, (her About page tells where she got the name), explains her blog’s beginnings this way: 

On December 31, 2014, a girlfriend mentioned she'd signed up for a Blogging 101 class. We live in different cities, but we talk once a month to encourage each other to achieve our dreams. (In our younger days, she was always the dreamer, and I tended to be the practical one. "Let yourself dream," she said to me once, years ago, and I still think of her when I get stuck in over-analysis. Over time, though, she and I have both learned how to get better at the other role.)

I thought Blogging 101 sounded fun, and I'd had passing thoughts of trying blogging for awhile. I immediately signed up. The fact that the class started the very next day allowed me to avoid the usual hemming and hawing. 

Now, half a year into it, the blog has become my single-best avenue for personal growth. A surprise bonus was the supportive blogging community I suddenly found myself a part of. The people I've met never cease to inspire me with their spirit of exploration.

So, on January 1, 2015, Suzi Hunn wrote her first blog and placed it on Blue Car Painted Green. Of her readers Suzi says, “People who appreciate stories of personal growth, handmade objects, or trips to thrift stories tend to be kindred spirits.” Suzi admits that, “Women are by far the strongest supporters of my blog.”

When I asked Suzi why people might want to read her blog, she said, “All of us experience growth and change. I'm endlessly fascinated by upcycling, the process of taking something that's gotten a little worn around the edges, then doing what I can to make it better. I'd love for readers to join me on these explorations.”

Suzi adds the following incentives for readers curious about her blog:

If readers are in a hurry, but need a quick dose of encouragement, they might enjoy my handmade inspirational-quote series, Be Good To You Today. (Side note: This is a phrase my mom has told me many times over the years, when facing something hard. Often, she'll ask instead, "What's one thing you can do to be good to you today?") 

Someone who's facing divorce or another life change may find inspiration in my post, My Very Own (Life-Sized) Upcycling Project

Lovers of 80's TV–or someone wanting to comfort a friend–might like How I Found Hope Through Golden Girls Fashion

Someone who loves thrift stores or working with her hands might appreciate the story of a bag I designed: From Savers Suit to Bottomless Bag


Please click any of the links in this blog. They’ll take you directly to Blue Car Painted Green: Crafting an Upcycled Life.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for doing this theme +Theresa Wiza.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU, Priscilla. If you want me to showcase yours, contact me on Facebook. I'd love to write about your blog.

      Delete