Writing Creatively

Writing Creatively
Creative Writing Tips

Friday, September 4, 2015

Friend for the Ride: Encouraging Words for the Menopause and Midlife Roller Coaster with Barbara Younger

Barbara Younger is a published author who discovered that she enjoys blogging. As she explains, “blogging has allowed me to present my unedited voice to the world. I've had a great time taking photos for the blog too. I love blogging, and I've been touched by the readers who have become advocates and friends.”

During some of the most traumatic events in her life, Barbara’s readers haven’t hesitated to offer support. “I was overwhelmed by the reader response when I announced my cancer last year and when my mom died this March.”



What prompted Barbara to begin blogging Friend for the Ride: Encouraging Words for the Menopause and Midlife Roller Coaster in the Fall of 2011, was her personal experience with menopause. “When I was going through menopause, I peppered my friends with questions. Most of them were either finished, and had little to say, or weren't there yet. I wanted someone to talk with, a friend for the menopause roller coaster. I came up with the idea of a blog that would help others through the menopause years.”

Who would likely read Friend for the Ride? Barbara responds, “Women going through peri-menopause and menopause write to say how helpful Friend for the Ride is to them. I have plenty of readers who are finished with the Change of Life who enjoy my posts too.”

But women aren’t the only people who enjoy her blog – “I even have a few male readers! One gay friend wrote that the blog helps him understand what his women friends are experiencing.”

Anyone interested in learning about menopause will enjoy reading Friend for the Ride: Encouraging Words for the Menopause and Midlife Roller Coaster, because, according to Barbara,Besides the information on the blog, readers appreciate my somewhat quirky, creative approach to life, especially the emotional side. They tell me that I inspire them to think deeper about a topic and/or to see it in a new light. My blog is fun, and my overall purpose is to be encouraging and upbeat.”

Sharing not only her personal journey with menopause, but also a matter about which she never before thought she’d be writing, Barbara found herself exploring the dark side – cancer – specifically endometrial cancer. “Last year, I had surgery for endometrial cancer, and I now write about this illness. Early detection is so important since endometrial cancer is highly curable. I address lots of other topics from downsizing to the loss of my mother to some pretty silly stuff, such as my Ladies Room Door Art Series.”

In addition to blogging about menopause and endometrial cancer on Friend for the Ride, Barbara features several guest posts every month. “The guest bloggers report that they appreciate and enjoy the experience, and they are so pleased when their posts go live.” 

If you want to write a guest post, Barbara invites you to email her at BKYounger@gmail.com. And while she loves her faithful followers, Barbara invites new readers to, “Please join us!”


Interested in joining Barbara on Friend for the Ride? Click on any of the links in this blog.

1 comment:

  1. I somehow missed this when it came out. Thanks for putting it together! I loved reading my thoughts gathered here. Just posted the link on Facebook. Happy New Year! Barbara

    ReplyDelete